facebook pixel

Types of Insurance for the Owner of any Residential Property

There are three main types of insurance for the owner of any residential property.

Homeowner’s Insurance

The most familiar and common is general Homeowner’s Insurance. This is the largest segment of the property industry, as the dwelling of each homeowner needs to be insured against damage.

Vacant Insurance

The next is Vacant Insurance, which, as you may have guessed, covers a dwelling while it is vacant. The reasons for the vacancy can be many. The homeowner may have moved to another dwelling, and the property is up for sale, and it most certainly needs to be insured while it is empty.

Builders Risk Insurance

The third type is well known by those in the construction industry but not as well known by those who may be remodeling or building a new dwelling from the ground up for the first time. This type of insurance is Builders Risk insurance and insures the structure against damage or loss only during the period that it is being worked upon.

A Vacant Insurance policy must be vacant without any type of remodeling or construction. A Builders Risk policy, however, can be covered in a dwelling undergoing construction while it is vacant or in some cases, occupied by the owner. A house may undergo renovation and still be insured under a Builders Risk policy if the house owner still lives in the structure. It depends entirely on the insurance company, each company, and their underwriting appetite, whether a structure can be occupied during construction or renovation.

General Liability

An important additional coverage, General Liability, also known as Premises Liability, is offered by some insurance companies. This protects


the owner from any third-party injury that may occur while on the premises and is recommendable if, for example, the house is being visited by many parties. General Liability is also a coverage that a General Contractor can and should be carrying, but it is always in the owner’s best interest to carry their own General Liability to avoid a potential financial loss or lawsuit.

It is important while shopping for Builders Risk insurance to ask what is included in the coverage, as well as what is excluded. As insurance companies are entitled to do, if a loss becomes to common or costly to insure, you can bet they will put it in small type inside of the policy documents. An prime example comes from the giant of the industry, Lloyds of London, who will not cover any “breakage of glass due to acts of vandalism”.

In areas prone to coastal flooding or hurricanes, quite often, one may find a builder’s risk policy that simply excludes wind, flooding, or hail damage. Usually, when this happens, such as in the state of Florida, there is a state fund that one can use alongside an existing builders’ risk policy to insure against the perils of flood, wind, and hail.

Finally, during fire season or hurricane season, if there is an existing fire or hurricane, or even the threat of a fire or hurricane, insurance companies will simply suspend any underwriting until such risk ends. It would be nice to be able to insure for anything that could potentially happen to a dwelling while it is undergoing work, but as you might have found out already, it is entirely up to the insurance company which risks they will cover, and which risks they simply will not cover.

If you have any questions about this or any other insurance needs feel free to contact the knowledgeable agents at ContractorsLiability.com at 888-819-1228 or go to our website for a QUOTE. We offer 5 Star customer service and can often get you insured in under an hour.

Avatar for John Brown
Written by: John Brown
John has more than 25 years of experience in the insurance industry. He grew from a star insurance producer to owning one of the largest agencies in the country; he's a reference regarding contractor's insurance, commercial insurance, and builders' risk insurance.