General Liability Insurance for Contractors is still one of the most important forms of coverage you can have. Covid-19 has introduced additional uncertainty into an industry that is already characterized by risk. At least two things still remain the same: maintaining a safe site is as important as ever, and accidents do still happen.
Will General Liability Insurance for Contractors Assist with Covid-19?
One of the damages General Liability Insurance covers is bodily injury. In other words a person may sue you for damages if they are injured as a result of something your company has done. It is possible that lawsuits may arise in the future claiming a person contracted Covid-19 because of your actions (or lack of action). The purpose of Liability insurance however is to assist with your legal defense as well as settlement costs in claims of bodily injury. The success of such claims remains to be seen.
What other coverage does General Liability Insurance for Contractors provide?
In general this coverage protects your business when you are sued for damage to property and/or bodily injury to another person. Bodily injury has been mentioned above. The other damages it assists with are:
- Property Damage. You may be sued if you damage the property of another. There are many examples of this in the construction industry. It can be for something relatively small like breaking the window of a neighbor. It could be an expensive accident like flooding the building site and causing extensive damage.
- Harm to Reputation. You may be sued for libel or slander. Perhaps you have spoken badly about another company and they claim their reputation was harmed, leading to a loss in business. They could sue you for damages.
- Advertising / Marketing mistakes. There are many mistakes you could make with your advertising. An example would be the use of a brand that you do not have written permission to use. Another could be an advert that is very similar to that of another company. These mistakes could lead to you being sued.
- Medical payments. A person can sustain a minor injury at your place of work. It is not significant and doesn’t lead to a lawsuit, but there are medical care costs that need to be paid. General Liability insurance will pay these costs. Our best advice is to ask your insurance company to assess whether yours includes Covid-19 damages.
Exclusions to General Liability
General Liability policies always have exclusions. It is important to always read what is excluded in your specific policy. In many policies the following are excluded:
- Injuries to employees (this is covered by Workers Compensation, which is mandatory)
- Professional mistakes
- Coverage for your vehicles
- Punitive damages
- Intentional acts
- Poor workmanship
Speak with us for your General Liability Insurance for Contractors
Contractors Liability specializes in coverage for builders and other contractors. We are qualified to assess your coverage to see how you stand in terms of Covid-19 coverage. We will advise on your next steps. Call Contractors Liability on 866-225-1950 and be sure your business is protected in these uncertain times.